Friday 21 September 2012

Lecture 8 - Excuses


This is my first semester at uni, so I'm still getting used to everything. Up until now I hadn't missed a single lecture or class. Up until now..


Getting to Uni seems to be a much bigger ordeal than it should be. A shot walk to the bus stop, a bus into town and another straight to uni. Only for some reason it NEVER works out that way, it always takes twice the time I imagine and is five times more stressful than it should be. Which is why, after my only other Monday class was cancelled, I just couldn't face the arduous journey into uni for a single hour of (enlightening albeit!) learning.

This was a baaaaaad idea. One lecture missed and I feel as though I've forgotten about my degree. For this entire week I have thought up so many excuses to avoid studying. My house has never looked so clean! My latest 'avoidance tactic' was to peruse the job classifieds. 'Research,' I mumbled to myself. 'Future planning.'

I don't need a job. I have one I love, and I am no were near completing my degree, but somehow I was comfortable simply wasting time not doing assignments, rather than taking a break or a day off. I am never so motivated to go for a run, vacuum the house or cook some Masterchef inspired meal as when studying.

This continued one for three days. A game of excuses, guilt and failed attempts of making any progress on my growing pile of assignments and exams. On the fourth day I'd had it and took a field trip to the countryside to clear my head. It worked and on returning to study I had the brilliant idea of simply listening to the sound recording. I think it's safe to say that sometimes, a break is desperately needed and deserved!

And in keeping with this theme of deserved breaks, the lecture post will be up in a few days - I'll get right onto it.. after my third cup of coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment