Thursday 11 October 2012

Scaredy Cat

I don't get scared easily. I like to think of myself as a strong person. I hate horror movies, but that's another story. But walking home alone at night scares the bajeebas out of me. Any noise, rustle or movement and I jump. Which I hate! I can't figure out if I am just a giant scaredy cat or if I am legitimately worried about being a victim of an all too often crime.

 I have read quite a few articles lately about this very thing - women's safety late at night - and feel as though women do have reason to feel uncomfortable walking alone in the dark. Women are more at risk when it comes to violent crimes. However, this attitude and violence towards women doesn't have to exist. Education really can solve so many problems, but it has to be the right kind. A discourse needs to be created and discussed within the education framework. A place of no judgement, assumptions or blame.

Until issues of inequality and differences are addressed in the open, inequality will continue unnecessarily.



Oh, and I looked up horror movie posters to put into this post and, OH MY GOODNESS. Not sleeping tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment