Thursday 26 July 2012

Lecture 1 - Inspiration

The amount of journalism students I met who were not set on becoming working journalists shocked me at first consideration. For as long as I can remember I wanted to write, to be a journalist. Having never considered the alternative paths a degree in journalism could lead to, I was surprised, if slightly disheartened, at the lack of aspiring journalists. It seemed that for such a prestigious university, UQ was producing PR consultants over hard-hitting journalists. Enter JOUR1111 - Introduction to Journalism and Communicaion - which, as the name should have been a dead give away, solidified my journalistic plans.

"I know of no human being who has a better time than an eager and energetic young reporter" (Mencken) 

An ex-journalist lecturer and real, worldly, experience based information - in the first lecture alone! I was quietly inspired and left feeling centent within my career choices - and looking forward to the next lecture!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment